If you’re reading this then you are already aware that divorce affects more than just you and your spouse. The others most affected by this decision are your children. Whether you are in the process of filing for divorce or are learning about your options, it is good to know what to expect. We’ve rounded up the most common questions to ask your lawyer about child custody in South Africa. Now, on to the questions!

How does one file for full custody?

If you want to file for full custody of your child or children, you will approach a court. From there, the court will decide if it is in the child’s best interests. A child custody lawyer is able to help you stand the best chance of being granted full custody.

How do you file for joint custody?

For joint custody, you will approach a court as well. The court will decide if joint custody is in the child’s best interest based on a number of factors. Your child custody lawyer will help you with this.

How can you file for visitation rights?

Visitation rights are awarded by either a court. You would approach the court for these rights and they would base this decision on what is in the child’s best interests.

Do both parents have to pay child support if you share joint custody?

If one parent is earning more than the other parent, they may have to pay more toward the child’s expenses. For instance, that parent may be instructed to take on the payment of school fees.

Can a father get full custody over the mother?

Provided that this would be in the child’s best interests, this is not unheard of. Your family lawyer will be able to provide more information about the factors that will be weighed in the court’s decision.

Do you have any questions about child custody for our lawyers? We have a team of expert attorneys equipped to support you. Contact The Law Offices of Karen Olivier, a top law firm in Durban. One of our attorneys will gladly assist you and/or provide you with advice when you need it most.