Relocation – If you are wanting to know more about relocating your underage child, then this is the place to be as we cover the most asked questions on the topic. The main obstacles that you may face are covered here but if you have any other questions feel free to contact us on 031 836 0307 or send through an email at so one of our family lawyers can assist you and/or provide you with legal advice on family law cases.

It is not uncommon for a parent to want to relocate to another country with their children, however, there are incidences where obstacles like another guardian’s permission may interfere with your plans. It is good to be prepared when it comes to such a big decision for your family – here is a good first step to achieving your goal or at least be prepared for what lies ahead.

Can I move out of SA without my child’s father’s permission?

In this scenario, if the father of the minor has parental rights and responsibilities, then his consent is required for the uprooting of the child. There are more factors to be taken into consideration but the gist of it is that both guardians need to be in agreement. The matter can be further explored in court.

What can I do if my child’s father refuses to consent to the move?

If the necessary consent required for the child to move is not given, the next step is to approach the issue from a legal standpoint and try to petition the court for permission. You would request the court to dispense with the consent requirement. This decision would be based on what is best for the child.

What kind of contact can the other parent left behind expect if we move?

Due to the digital age that we live in, this should not be a big concern as there are many avenues to explore when it comes to keeping in contact with the parent and child. A few of these include Skype, FaceTime, and WhatsApp. Besides these, there are other messaging services available to keep in touch with. When it comes to holidays or visits to South Africa after the move, it is reasonable for the other parent to receive a couple of days alone with the child.

Are you looking for a child custody lawyer in Durban? Feel free to get into contact with any one of our skilled attorneys of family law cases at Durban Law Offices. Contact Durban Law Offices on 031 836 0307 or email us at so that one of our lawyers may assist you and/or provide you with advice.