Family law is a unique branch of legal practice that concentrates on matters related to family relationships. It can be a complex and emotional field, so it is essential to understand what a family lawyer does before you seek their services.
So, if you are wondering what a family lawyer does, you have come to the right place. In this blog post, we will give some examples of the areas of law that are our speciality when helping you overcome these challenging times in your life.
Family Lawyers: Your Ally During Life Changes
Here are some of the key matters that a family lawyer can handle:
- Divorce: Navigating the legal complexities of a divorce, including filing the necessary paperwork and representing clients in court.
- Child Custody and Visitation Rights: Assisting with child custody disputes and helping to create visitation schedules that protect the child’s best interests.
- Child Support: Calculating child support payments based on state guidelines and helping to ensure these payments are made.
- Spousal Support: Determining eligibility and calculating the appropriate amount.
- Division of Property: Assisting with the division of marital property during a divorce, including complex assets like retirement accounts and real estate.
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements: Drafting agreements to protect individual assets during a divorce.
- Universal Partnerships and Cohabitation Agreements: For relationships where partners are not yet married but are living together, to protect both parties and their assets if they decide to split up.
- Domestic Violence: Helping victims of domestic violence obtain protective orders and navigate the legal system.
- Marriage Annulment: Navigating the legal process to annul a marriage.
- Legal Separation: Facilitating the process of legal separation, which allows couples to live apart but remain legally married.
- Mediation: Serving as a neutral third party to facilitate negotiations and conflict resolution between family members.
Understanding and Tailoring Solutions
Every family is unique, and so are the challenges they face. A family lawyer understands this and tailors solutions to suit your specific situation. They listen to your story, assess your needs, and then develop a strategy to best serve and protect your interests. This tailored approach is what sets family lawyers apart.
Ensuring Your Rights Are Upheld
A significant part of a family lawyer’s role is to ensure that your rights are upheld. Whether it is your right to see your children or your right to a fair division of property during a divorce, a family lawyer fights for you. They use their knowledge and experience to ensure you get what you are entitled to.
Now that you have the answer to the question “What does a family lawyer do?”, you can see that we are more than just legal professionals. At Durban Law Offices, we are your advocate, guide, and protector during some of the most challenging times of your life. Contact us today for all your family law requirements.